Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 13 Nov 2002 at 11:54, Henrik Steffen wrote:

> Dear Shridhar,
>
> ok, so my system has got 362 MB of free RAM currently... this sounds good.

Cool.. Keep watching that.. If that goes down to less than 50, you certainly
need to look into..

> uname -a says:
> Linux db2.city-map.de 2.4.7-10 #1 Thu Sep 6 17:27:27 EDT 2001 i686 unknown

hmm.. Some sort of RedHat I assume. Upgrade the kernel at least. Any variant of
2.4.19.x should give you at least 10-15% performance increase. Besides that
will cure the linux VM fiascos as well..

> I didn't actually measure requests per minute through a longer period...
> I tested it 2 hours ago using debug and logging all queries, and I saw
> approx. 2500 requests per minute. but at that time of the day there are
> only about 25 simultaneous users on our website. so i calculated 50
> users and 5.000 rpm for average daytime usage. I guess the maximum peak
> would be approx. 10.000 queries per minute.

Hmm.. Certainly connection pooling will give you advantage. Tune it if you can(
php BTW?)

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar