Re: Creating a list of Press Contacts and similar - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Creating a list of Press Contacts and similar
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Justin,
>
> > To keep it simple, we should probably have a field for the email address
> > on the front page, and probably their preferred language, then when they
> > submit that it stores it that in the database (checking for duplicate
> > emails) and gives them the further option to fill out the rest of the
> > forms.  Two stage approach but it would mean minimal effort is needed to
> > sign up but they still have the option to take a bit more time and
> > effort to give better detail.
> >
> > What do you reckon?
>
> My concern is, without a name & organization, we may end up harvesting them,
> under a different e-mail address, somewhere else, and sending them duplicate
> e-mails.   Or sending their agency duplicate e-mails; news services tend to
> take a dim view of sending e-mails to every one of their reporters, even when
> it's not your fault.

Sounds like we need a manual verification or similar prior to email
sendout when we notice people with the same domain name (i.e. @cnet.com)
subscribed through it?

Something that groups the emails with the same domain name then lets the
admin approve/reject some or similar.

?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> -Josh Berkus
>
> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                         Josh Berkus
>    Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>     and data management solutions       (415) 565-7293
>    for law firms, small businesses       fax 621-2533
>     and non-profit organizations.       San Francisco

   - Indira Gandhi