Re: [HACKERS] MySQL vs PostgreSQL. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [HACKERS] MySQL vs PostgreSQL.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12 Oct 2002 at 17:58, Darko Prenosil wrote:

> On Saturday 12 October 2002 09:02, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > Yes. but that may not be enough. Strech the situation. 300GB database 350GB
> > space. GZip can't compress better than 3:1. And don't think it's
> > imagination. I am preparing a database of 600GB in near future. Don't want
> > to provide 1TB of space to include redump.
> >
> Where You store Your regular backup (The one You use for security reasons, not
> for version change)? Or You are not doing backup at all ???

No regular backups. Data gets recycled in fixed intervals. It's not stored
permannently anyway. And this is not single machine database. It's a cluster
with redundant components like RAID etc. So risk goes further down..

Lucky me.. didn't have to devise regular backup scheme for such a database..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Real Time, adj.:    Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there
and then.