Re: Advocacy web site - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Advocacy web site
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Shridhar,

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was just going thr. the web sites and noticed some points.
>
> 1) On advantages page, immunity from over deployment does not cover the basic
> fact that postgresql is extremely slim package. A vanilla install does not
> exceed 20MB or odd. As against getting oracle 9i installed under 500MB..

Good point.  Will definitely add something about this to the
"Advantages" page.  :)

> License is an issue but I guess it shouldn't replace humble nature of
> postgresql itself..
>
> 2) Case studies: IMO we need some links to more information as in evaluation
> tests passed for a particular deployment, server and network infrastructure,
> peak and average load, mission criticality of system, backups and replication
> etc.. These details would show off postgresql strengths with an example..

Yep, there are heaps of places out there using PostgreSQL in significant
ways, it's just a matter of getting together the framework by which to
do proper Case Studies.  It's being worked on at present by some people
(so far the waiver's are pretty much done, an initial list of questions
has been mostly worked out, etc).

> 3) Additionally on advantages page, it would be great if there are more links,
> like replication linked to a list of available solution. Do we expect a person
> to google for 'postgresql replication' after reading that description?

People have suggested having links from these points to further
information, and it's a realyl good idea.  Given a few weeks
(realistically) it should have happened and be done well.  :-)

> Just some thoughts..

Pretty good ones too.  Worth joining the Advocacy group?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Bye
>  Shridhar
>
> --
> "Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff ofreliable,
> well-engineered commercial software?"(By Matt Welsh)

   - Indira Gandhi