Re: Improving speed of copy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Improving speed of copy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20 Sep 2002 at 10:14, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Are you using copy within a transaction?

No. Will that help? I can try. But the utility I wrote, I could insert say 10K
records in a transaction. Copy seems to be doing it all in one transaction. I
don't get any value for select count(*) in another psql session till copy
finishes..
> I don't know how to explain the size difference tho.  I have never seen an
> overhead difference that large.  What type of MySQL tables were you using
> and what version?

Dunno.. Not my machine.. I am just trying to tune postgres on a friends
machine.. not even postgres/root there.. So can not answer these questions fast
but will get back on themm..
> Have you tried this with Oracle or similar commercial database?

No. This requirement is specific for open source database..

May be in another test on a 4 way/4GB RAM  machine, I might seem another
result. Mysql was creating index on a 10GB table for last 25hours and last I
knew it wasn't finished..Must be something with parameters..

Will keep you guys posted..

ByeShridhar

--
brain, n:    The apparatus with which we think that we think.        -- Ambrose Bierce,
"The Devil's Dictionary"