Re: [GENERAL] killing process question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [GENERAL] killing process question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 19 Sep 2002 at 11:19, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> --howdy:
> --not that the process is doing a lot or taking up
> --a lot of resources, it's just something
> --that i allow the users to kill and then
> --it get's passed to me for correction if the
> --simple 'kill <pid>' thing doesn't work.
> --what i'm trying to understand is if there
> --is a way to do this without having to restart
> --the database (remember, it's still production)
> --everytime there is a runaway process AND not
> --kill -9 <pid>.
> --how can i do this?

I did a quick 'grep -rin' on postgresql source code I have(CVS, a week old).
Looks like postgresql backend is ignoring the SISPIPE which is delivered to
backend process when other end is closed. Obviously this is going to cause
hanging back-ends.

I guess a backend should terminate as if connection is closed. What say?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Guillotine, n.:    A French chopping center.