Re: Memory Errors... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Memory Errors...
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19 Sep 2002 at 7:10, Ian Harding wrote:

> Can someone tell me what these mean?  They happen when running big ugly pgtcl functions that delete, insert and
updatelots of stuff in the database.
> ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetContextCreate(8192)
> ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(88)
> ERROR:  Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc(60)
> options         SHMMAXPGS=8192  # 1024 pages is the default

> which I thing brings my maximum amount of shared memory from about 4 MB to about 32 MB.  (256 MB is installed)  I
thenchanged the line in postgresql.conf like this:

> shared_buffers = 3000        # 2*max_connections, min 16
>
> which I think says "PostgreSQL, there is about 24 MB of shared memory available to you."
>
> You would think this would be better, not worse, than the defaults.

Now you have recompiled the kernel, does postgres works same way with defaults?
Let's change one thing at a time..

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
The Gordian Maxim:    If a string has one end, it has another.