Re: VIEW or Stored Proc - Is this even possible? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stephen.Thompson@bmwfin.com
Subject Re: VIEW or Stored Proc - Is this even possible?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanks for that Richard,

I will try your suggestions. I'll let you know my results.

Regards,

Stephen.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: 20 February 2003 11:08
To: Stephen.Thompson@bmwfin.com; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] VIEW or Stored Proc - Is this even possible?

On Thursday 20 Feb 2003 10:09 am, Stephen.Thompson@bmwfin.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion I will look into this further.
>
> The reason this issue exists is to do with address details. What we have
is
> an address table based upon the PAF address structure. IE house number,
> house name, street, locality etc. The software that we are using to
perform
> a mail merge will not remove blank lines from the address so we can end up
> with an address label looking as:
>
> My House
>
> Main Street
>
> Any Town
> County

Ah - what an irritating bit of software.

I'd be tempted to write a merged_address() function to return the whole
thing
as a multi-line field if your mailmerge can handle that. It would do
something like:

SELECT COALESCE(street || '\n','') || COALESCE(town || '\n','') ||
COALESCE(county || '\n','') FROM my_addr;

and then trim the trailing '\n'.

Failing that, seeing as you're only ever going to have a few fields to deal
with you could define a mailing_list view which hard-coded address lines,
but
you're going to end up with nested CASE elements.

--  Richard Huxton

Copyright material and/or confidential and/or privileged information may be contained in this e-mail and any attached
documents. The material and information is intended for the use of the intended addressee only.  If you are not the
intendedaddressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee, you may not copy, disclose,
distribute,disseminate or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised manner or take or omit to take any
actionin reliance on it. To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.   The views expressed in this e-mail may not be
officialpolicy but the personal views of the originator.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please advise the sender
immediatelyby using the reply facility in your e-mail software, or contact postmaster@bmwfin.com.  Please also delete
thise-mail and all documents attached immediately.

Many thanks for your co-operation.

BMW Financial Services (GB) Limited is registered in England and Wales under company number 01288537.
Registered Offices : Europa House, Bartley Way, Hook, Hants, RG27 9UF