Re: How to update record in a specified order - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: How to update record in a specified order
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 9 Aug 2002 at 14:37, Josh Berkus wrote:

> JLL,
>
> > I want to update a field with a 'NEXTVAL', but I want the record updated
> > in a specific order.
> > Any simple way of doing this other than having to create a temp table?
>
> Please be more speciifc.  What do you mean, "specified order"?

My reading of what is required:

- sort a given result set according to some criteria
- then do something like UPDATE table SET myfield = NEXTVAL
- each row in the result set would get a value one more than the previous row

--
Dan Langille
I'm looking for a computer job: