Re: [GENERAL] DLM Oracle/Compaq/OpenVMS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: [GENERAL] DLM Oracle/Compaq/OpenVMS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(redirected to -hackers)

> > * Is there anything open about the DLM spec or code?  I.e., could it
> > actually be used in a project like PostgreSQL?

The code is not open (despite the OpenDLM name :/

http://oss.software.ibm.com/dlm/

> > * Have you looked at any PostgreSQL code and thought about how the DLM
> > might be incorporated?  (I'm not even really much of a C coder, but the
> > idea is exciting to me).

Yes. But it wasn't worth thinking about too hard because afaict there
were no reasonable distributed lock managers available.

The gborg-based replication project probably needs a distributed lock
manager. Not sure what it uses currently, and it looks to me that IBM's
contribution stalled out for the last few months. There is a little
activity on their mailing list but they missed an "any day now" release
back in October or November...
                       - Thomas