Re: Consistency problem with unlabeled intervals - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Consistency problem with unlabeled intervals
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> That is, '60' is read as so many hours, '1.5' is read as so many
> seconds.  This seems a tad inconsistent.

They fulfill two separate use cases. Time zones can now be specified as
intervals, and the default unit must be hours. A number with a decimal
point is usually in units of seconds, and matches past behavior afaik.

The current behavior makes a choice that likely breaks "expected
behavior" if it were changed. Not to mention dealing with the upgrade
issues if the conventions were changed.

I don't have my heels dug in on this, but this example doesn't cover the
range of cases the behavior was designed to handle. I'll go back and
research it if turns out to be required.
                   - Thomas