Re: [Fwd: AW: UB-Tree's and patents] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [Fwd: AW: UB-Tree's and patents]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Oleg,

My understanding of patent law (in a generalised way) means that for any
country in which you're granted a patent on something, these days it
effectively means you've got control of the usage of that particular
thing.

So, if Prof. Rudolf Bayer has a patent on the algorithm for UB-Tree's in
the US and Europe, then he gets to say who can and can't use that
algorithm in those countries.

Now, if whoever DOES hold that patent is Open Source friendly we have
nothing to worry about as long as we get permission in writing (assuming
UB-Tree's are something we're implementing at some point).  If they're
NOT Open Source friendly, then there are steps we can take, but they all
cost money of varying amounts.  :-(

If anyone has further info about this kind of thing, that would be
useful.

Also, I've emailed Prof. Bayer yesterday to ask him for more specifics,
so we should hopefully have his response in a day or two.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift