Re: postgresql -- what's in a name? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Medi Montaseri
Subject Re: postgresql -- what's in a name?
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes, but Will can also simply ask and move on...for all we care, he can rename
the entire program set to foo, goo, and whatever. Wasting this channel's
bandwidth might lure other participants away, thinking this is a chat room.

Lamar Owen wrote:

On Monday 11 February 2002 09:37 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Postgres95 was SQL, if I'm not mistaken.

> Correct ... it was Jolly/Andrew's graduate project to take it from
> PostQuel->SQL, and they named it Postgres95 as a joke revolving around
> Windows95 at the time ..

Ok.

To those who flamed Will for not reading the project history, this is the
kind of etymology he's talking about.  He's not wanting 'Postgres became
postgres95 which became postgresql' -- he's wanting the kind of information
Marc just gave.

What's interesting is not that it was called postgres; what's interesting is
WHY it's called postgres. So, to all those who felt a need to be too snippy
at Will's question, please, just count ten and either answer nicely or don't
answer.  Please?

The history of the name != the history of the project.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Medi Montaseri                               medi@CyberShell.com