Re: A simpler way to configure the source code? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: A simpler way to configure the source code?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > > I feel having the "fringe features" more tested is a great
> > > idea, and will lead to a better PostgreSQL, and therefore
> > > happier users.  :)  A friendly, and decently-easy-to-user
> > > interactive setup (Linux "menuconfig" kernel style?) would be
> > > beneficial.
> > >
> > > If it doesn't add signifcant overhead to maintenance, and is
> > > very portable, it sounds to me like a good idea.
> > >

> > +1 (not that this is a vote :-) )
>
> Hmmm...yuck.  I think a --with-everything is a good idea, but surely all
> that needs be done is make the regression test test everything?  It's
> annoying little setup scripts that make porting things to FreeBSD a pain...
>
> -1

Hi Chris,

Would you consider it to be an "alright thing" if it was an optional
feature?  As in, people could use the interactive menu if they wanted,
or they could do the --with-whatever (--with-everything is prob a good
idea too) as per normal?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Chris

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi