Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
Re: PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL  (Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>)
List pgsql-general
> The above is the BSD license, the classic open-source license. While the
> GPL has similar goals, PostgreSQL developers find the restrictions
> imposed by the GPL to be unacceptable.  Since the BSD license has no
> such restrictions, we like it and have no intention of changing it.

*I* don't find GPL unacceptable. Some of my favorite software (present
company excepted of course) has it. But I am and have always been
satisfied that the BSD license (predating GPL as Don points out) serves
Postgres and PostgreSQL just fine.

I've always considered it a point of recognition that we retain the
licensing that Berkeley was kind enough to give us. It *is* one of the
great licenses in the history of open software. So why are we having to
justify it?

                       - Thomas