Re: [ANNOUNCE] Commercial: New Book!! PostgreSQL book is - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Commercial: New Book!! PostgreSQL book is
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Doug,

I just had a similar experience.  I emailed him to request a copy of his
book for review, and bingo, I get an invoice in the email to cough up
cash from Billpoint as well.

This is ridiculous, and is giving us a bad rep.

I'll pursue this further.

BTW, has anyone else suffered this probably-illegal experience with Al
Dev?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Doug Royer wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
> >
> > Dear PostgreSQL community,
> >
> >     Most  of  the  longer  standing  members  of  the  PostgreSQL
> >     developers or users communities know very  well  what  to  do
> >     with  information provided by Al Dev (aka Alavoor Vasudevan).
>
> Is all I did was visit his web site, and got a bill from
> "billpoint@billpoint.com" for $25.98. I DID NOT order his book:
>
> >  Subject: Billpoint Invoice for Item # , 1 , for $25.98
> >     Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:02:14 -0800 (PST)
> >     From: Billpoint System Notification <billpoint@billpoint.com>
> >       To: Doug@royer.com

> >  This is a Billpoint Invoice from alavoor@yahoo.com requesting
> >  payment of $25.98 for "1" . To pay for this item, click on the
> >  link below, or copy and paste it into your browser. (If the
> >  link appears on multiple lines, you may need to copy each line
> >  separately.)

> >    Invoice Details
> >    ---------------
> >    Seller:              alavoor@yahoo.com
> >    Seller email:        alavoor@yahoo.com
> >    Seller Message:      A Complete Guide to PostgreSQL.
>
> When I called the WHOIS database phone number for billpoint,
> the answering maching answered BILL - POINT, then I hit '0'
> and E-BAY answered.

>                   Name: Doug.vcf
>    Doug.vcf       Type: VCard (text/x-vcard)
>               Encoding: 7bit
>
>    Part 1.3    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: binary

   - Indira Gandhi