Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME fix - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME fix
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > | Instead of trying to fix this, how about making the RI triggers not use
> > | the column names in the first place.  (Instead they should use the oid of
> > | the table and the attnums.)
> >
> > I agree with you.  Two things led me toward the current approach
> > (modifying tgargs)
> >   1) it would require fewer changes to get correct behavior, which
> >      was important as late in beta as I started and
> >   2) I had /some/ idea of how to get it done ;-)
> >
> > I'll begin to look at what would be required to do it the right
> > way for 7.3.
>
> Added to TODO:
>
>         * Make triggers refer to columns by oid, not name

What OIDs could we use to point columns ?

Is it really a good idea to use IDs or numbers in the first place ?
We know now reference by IDs aren't necessarily good, don't we ?
It's not preferable to optimize only *rename*. IMHO this should be
considered as a part of total object-dependency mechanism.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue