Re: Database corruption? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Lapham
Subject Re: Database corruption?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
>
>>The problem ended up being bad RAM (it was good two weeks ago). I don't
>>think it's of any use to do anything else with the database.
>>

> Ah so.  Thanks for following up.
>
> It may be unthinkable hubris to say this, but ... I am starting to
> notice that a larger and larger fraction of serious trouble reports
> ultimately trace to hardware failures, not software bugs.  Seems we've
> done a good job getting data-corruption bugs out of Postgres.

I am certainly a member of the "hardware cause db corruption" family, as
it has happened to me more than once.  RAM and power supplies seem to be
the usual suspects.

Has anyone else noticed that only a few years ago it seemed like
hardware was more robust?  Or is that just fanciful projections of the
"good ol' days"?

--

  Jon Lapham