Re: Database corruption? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Database corruption?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:

> > The database has been running for months without trouble. I'm now trying
> > desperate measures, but I fear I will have to restore from backup (a week
> > old). I have taken a tarball of the complete location (pg_xlog included and
> > all that stuff) if anyone wants to see it (but it's 2 GB).
>
> As I said to Denis in the earlier thread, it would be good to try to
> track down which page is corrupted and maybe then we'd understand how
> it got that way.  Since you have the database tarball, you have the
> raw material to look into it --- you'd need to rebuild Postgres with
> debug symbols enabled and trace back from the failure points to learn
> more.  Are you up to that, or could you grant access to your machine to
> someone who is?

The problem ended up being bad RAM (it was good two weeks ago). I don't
think it's of any use to do anything else with the database. Sorry for
the noise.

If you think it's useful anyway, I can recompile and see what's up. Do
you think so?

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]atentus.com>)
"Nadie esta tan esclavizado como el que se cree libre no siendolo" (Goethe)