Re: Differential Backups - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy H. Keitt
Subject Re: Differential Backups
Date
List pgsql-general
Tried it. GNU diff chokes on very large files. It would be so nice if
incremental dumps were native to pgsql.

Tim

Ian Harding wrote:

>I have been thinking about backups.  I currently do one a day.  However, I thought it might be nice to get
differentialbackups through the day.  I should be able to generate dumps throughout the day, generate a diff from my
baselinedump, and just keep the diff, right?  Then to do a restore I would just patch for the point in time I wanted to
restoreto?  Seems like it would work, but whether it would save any hard drive space would depend on how much activity
thedatabase saw.  Anyone doing this now?

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution