Re: oid not "UNIQUE" for use as FOREIGN KEY? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ernesto Baschny
Subject Re: oid not "UNIQUE" for use as FOREIGN KEY?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 23 Oct 2001 at 9:18, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> > (...)
> > As of yesterday, I think this is a bug, because you can
now create a
> > unique constraint on the OID column ... but I see it still
doesn't work:

> The yes was to it being a bug.  I've always treated it as
such since you
> could make the "constraint" by making the index manually,
just a low
> priority one since such uses of oid should be discouraged
anyway. :)

Thats interesting, as I thought that would be an "elegant"
way of doing that.  I've got the idea from Bruce Momjian's
book, here:

  http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node71.html

Should I instead stick to separate INTEGER PRIMARY KEY _id
fields instead of using the OID's for it?  What use would one
want to make of an OID then?

--
Ernesto Baschny <ernst@baschny.de>
 http://www.baschny.de - PGP Key: