Re: distance vector databases and country maps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Ramsey
Subject Re: distance vector databases and country maps
Date
List pgsql-general
Frank,
In terms of storing GIS (geographic informations systems) data in
PostgreSQL, check out PostGIS: http://postgis.refractions.net . It is a
LGPL extension to PostgreSQL to provide full spatial database
functionality for pgsql. The built-in types are just not up to full GIS
work.

As for your particular problem, yes, acquiring GIS data, particularly
detailed GIS data, can be expensive. It depends a great deal on the
country you are working in. Data here in Canada is terribly expensive;
in the USA it is much more reasonable (even free for some data sets). I
am sure there are government agencies in Germany which have very
detailed GIS data for your country, but I have no idea which ones :) I
have found the the GIS portal site http://www.geocomm.com is a good
starting point when looking for free data. Free data tends to be more
coarse than the alternatives but then at least it is free :)

Happy mapping,
Paul