Re: Release for 9.5 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Sehrope Sarkuni
Subject Re: Release for 9.5
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
+1 to not having to match versions but we should have a version compatability matrix. As new features are added to core
PG,thereneeds to be a clear indication of where they're supported.

As of now the recommendation is to always use the latest driver. As new data types of other features are supported, it
shouldbe clear which driver versions support which core DB features. Rather than doing it at a feature level I think it
makesmore sense to do it at a DB version level (since PG doesn't backpack new features).

Similarly, if a legacy feature becomes unsupported, for example if we finally remove v2 protocol support, that should
beclearly marked.

As far as actual version numbers go, if the maven coordinates are not going to change then we will need to ensure they
aresemver greater than the existing version. Otherwise it'll cause a world of comparability issues.

Regards,
Sehrope Sarkuni