Re: 7.2 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas F. O'Connell
Subject Re: 7.2 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Here is a small list of big TODO items.  I was wondering which ones
> people were thinking about for 7.2?
>
> * Allow inherited tables to inherit index, UNIQUE constraint, and primary key
>   [inheritance]

i was wondering if there was any thought still being given to Oliver
Elphick's post from a while back that is still in TODO.detail
[inheritance]:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/mhonarc/todo.detail/inheritance/msg00010.html

i kind of feel as though the inheritance semantics for postgres at the
moment are not fully fleshed out, and including further features without
having a full plan for the semantics doesn't seem to advance the effort
of making postgres a true Object-Relational DBMS.

for my part, as a user, i am excited that inheritance is available even
in a limited fashion, but where i use it, i have basically had to invent
my own semantics for referential integrity based on a suite of triggers.
this issue is addressed in Oliver's post, but i was wondering if such
issues were still a part of the development dialogue since Oliver's post
was the last in TODO.detail [inheritance] and seemed to merit no
response (or any that i could find in the mailing list archives).

-tfo