Re: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql/Netra - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql/Netra
Date
List pgsql-general
GH wrote:
> Does anybody ever actually *READ* the $%@#-ing threads?
> I never said a word about Linux. RedHat does *NOT* equal LINUX!

Asbestos longjohns worn thin, GH? :-> Try kevlar next time.

No, Red Hat != Linux -- but the venom in your post required an
appropriate response, as the 'between the lines' interpretation was the
same stuff I've heard -- from since before there was a Linux, or a
FreeBSD. Or a Red Hat.  And I read your entire post.

PostgreSQL, to me, is such as valuable RDBMS precisely because it is so
cross-platform -- indeed, it is platform agnostic to an extreme. The
development group is also collectively platform-agnostic (in reality --
although Marc and others play the BSD zealot on-list).

Hey, I'm platform agnostic -- let's go with some serious iron here and
run something hard-core on a mainframe -- PostgreSQL is just as at home
on big iron as it is on my measly Pentium III's and Pentium Pro.  But
Red Hat Linux can be and is many times a good fit for the job at hand.

But really, what got my bile in a boil was the 'anyone whose opinion
matters' jibe.  That was uncalled for, and required, IMNSHO, a response
in kind -- which, to tell the truth, felt odd to write for this list.
But a post that implied that someone who would recommend Red Hat is a
luser really bothered me.

If that offends others on the list, my apologies.  From the email I've
received off-list, I think I am at least temporarily in safe waters.
But, I'm done for now.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio