Problem importing auto-increment fields in MS Access to Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Rich Handler
Subject Problem importing auto-increment fields in MS Access to Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-interfaces

<bold>I have a relatively simple problem :  </bold>

I have a field named "id" that has type "Auto-number" in an Access database
table.

I know there is no 'auto_number' type in PostgreSQL.  I know also, that
SERIAL and SEQUENCE are workarounds for this problem, but I'm not sure
how to make a field a SERIAL once its already created in the table.

I have tried making the DEFAULT value of field "id" set to SERIAL, but I get this
error :

Your query:
<bold>ALTER TABLE "names" ALTER "id" SET DEFAULT SERIAL</bold>

odbc driver version (on Win machine) : 7.01.00.04 Insight Distrib.
(PSQLODBC.DLL)

odbc driver version (on Red Hat machine) : postgresql-odbc-7.0.2-17.rpm

postgre database version : postgresql-7.0.2.rpm

error messages on screen : none.

the commlog file : see attached file (psqlodbc.log)

love

rich handler

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,