Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From mwaples@waples.net
Subject Re: RE: Why is there so much MySQL bashing???
Date
List pgsql-general
Ron Chmara wrote:

> Just a counter-thought to an earlier post, wherein
> it was suggested that MySQL user might be offended by the
> bashing, and thus avoid switching.
>
> A MySQL user considers switching to postgreSQL, so
> he goes to check the PGSQL mailing list:
>
> Possibility 1. They find people are fairly muted, and thinks the
> differences are no big deal, just friendly differences. So they
> don't switch. Why should they?
>
> Possibility 2. He finds people who have switched, and think that
> it's a *really big deal*, because they now hate MySQL so much.
> Realizing that they could have a much better db system, they
> seriously consider a switch.
>
> Taking a page from M$, they don't exactly sit on the sidelines
> and avoid bashing Linux, Solaris, etc.... politeness is great
> for getting along and sharing space. If you want to take over
> marketshare, though, it doesn't quite work.
>
> -Ronabop

I wish Postgresql users were more outspoken -

This page - http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html
and reading Bruce Momjian's pdf book - completely changed me

I always heard comments like - "you don't need transactions" "you can
get away with no subqueries"  - "MYsql is good for 95% of people" - "who
needs triggers" and  you never hear referential integrity mentioned when
you use MYsql.

Now I realize what I missed out on, and I'm close to hating MYsql(close
not actually) - I wish there were more webpages, comments on mailing
lists that explained why Postgresql is better.
Im really angry with myself that I've wasted a huge amount of time when
I could have been using Postgresql all this time -
So don't stop MYsql bashing completely