Re: MySQL file system - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karl DeBisschop
Subject Re: MySQL file system
Date
PostgreSQL filesystem  ("J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <jdassen@cistron-office.nl>)
List pgsql-general
Ned Lilly wrote:

> Anyone heard about this?
>
> http://no.spam.ee/~tonu/mysqlfs.html

I was bout to copy about 3000 RFCs onto my hard drive last night.
Bowsing them online was just too painfully slow.

Then I realized that although I had the disk space for the total file
size, they were mostly smaller than a block on my disk, so I was going
to loose alot of space.

My first thought was, well postgress would stor that as one file - that
might work. Then I thought "I'm trying to be FAST here -- any time spent
on this is a distraction. Too bad there is no such thing as
PostgreSQL/FS"

It's not earth shattering, and sure there are other solutions. But it's
cute and could be useful. Add some bugs and a few security compromises,
and it almost looks like M$.

--
Karl DeBisschop                      kdebisschop@alert.infoplease.com
Learning Network/Information Please  http://www.infoplease.com