Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: OK, that's one LOCALE bug report too many...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > Collation was the same, regardless of the --enable-locale
> > setting.  I got lots of 'bug' reports about the RPM's failing
> Hmm.  I reviewed that thread and found this comment from you:
> : In a nutshell, yes.  /etc/sysconfig/i18n on the fresh install sets LANG,
> : LC_ALL, and LINGUAS all to be "en_US".  The upgraded machine at home doesn't
> : have an /etc/sysconfig/i18n -- nor does the RH 6.0 box.
> That makes it sounds like /etc/sysconfig/i18n is not what I'd assumed
> (namely, a data file read at runtime by libc) but only a bit of shell
> script that sets exported environment variables during bootup.  I don't
> have that file here, so could you enlighten me as to exactly what it
> is/does?

Oh, yes, sorry -- /etc/sysconfig/i18n is read during sysinit,
immediately before starting swap (IOW, it's only read the once).  On my
RH 6.2 box, it is the following line:

----- /etc/sysconfig/i18n -------
LANG="en_US"

It's the same on a fresh RedHat 7.0 install.
> If it is just setting some default environment variables for the system,
> then it isn't anything we can't deal with by forcing setlocale() at
> postmaster start.  That'd make me feel a lot better ;-)

Then you need to feel alot better :-).....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio