Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dale
Subject Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 20, 3:02 pm, scott.marl...@gmail.com ("Scott Marlowe") wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Dale Harris <itsupp...@jonkers.com.au> wrote:
> > As per the original message:
> >>UPDATE "EntityRelation" SET "Status" = inStatus, "Modified" =
> >> Session_TimeStamp(), "ModifiedBy" = UserID() WHERE ("RelationID" =
> >> inRelationID) AND ("EntityID" = inEnityID) AND IsEqual(inRelatedID,
> >> "RelatedID") RETURNING "Default" INTO oldDefault;
>
> This is called a code fragment.  What people want to see here is a
> self-contained example of it failing.  Until you post one of those, no
> one can troubleshoot it because it WORKS FOR THEM.
>
> Create a test table
> insert some data
> create a plpgsql function
> call that function and have it throw an error.
>
> Post all of that here.
>
> --

I'm sorry about annoying everyone with this issue.  I have just tried
to create a test table and function to demonstrate my issue, but all
now appears to be working.  I put the original code back into the
function (including the spelling mistake) and it all compiles now
without any errors.  I'm only new to PostreSQL and I'm finding it very
good, especially being fully open source and free.  This afternoon I'm
starting to notice that pgAdmin III for Windows sometimes gives
erratic error messages when there is no error or the error is actually
different.  I know this because when I recompile after moving the
cursor, the messages change.  Maybe my issue was created by pgAdmin
rather than PostgreSQL.

Regards,

Dale.