[Fwd: Re: postgres not allowing new database?] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From lee johnson
Subject [Fwd: Re: postgres not allowing new database?]
Date
List pgsql-general

> i can only get above commands to work ( which was likely the orig.
> posters
> intent ) if I
> type in  set c in front of them all.........I did NOT try the last
> line
> Pg_exec as i just started pgaccess after
> set c pg_connect handiman
>
> that line produced no errors so i thought i was ready to go.....
> but once inside pgaccess i was unable to connect to handiman
> database........
> i was gettting unable to connect to localhost/is postmaster running
> with -i
> and accepint connections on tcp/ip at 5432 .........????

okay i found docs in /postgres from install of postgresql rpm's ...

i'm at:

> mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
> su - postgres
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

line 3 not working display weird stuff that doesn't seem to apply to
what I"m doing........see below......
-----------------
[handiman@localhost handiman]$ su - postgres
Password:
Cdrecord 1.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling
cdrecord: Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/sg0'. Cannot open SCSI
driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root./dev/ttyS2: Permission denied
its reading my ./profile ????????? ..what does this have to do with
postgres?

am i having trouble because i was root when I installed the
rpm's......maybe i should start over?
and remove the rpm's and download the tar files and install them as su
instead of root???

semi confused here thanks for any help ( sorry....... maybe I should
have been addressing pg-novice all this time? )... :-)
lee