Re: Great Bridge benchmark results for Postgres, 4 others - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Great Bridge benchmark results for Postgres, 4 others
Date
List pgsql-general
Excellent  result ! -

Great to see some benchmarking of Postgresql and the competition....and to see it kick ass !

.... but a cautionary note about test "even handedness" - certain current versions of
"proprietary databases" will exhaust 512MB RAM  with 100 users... I know this because I have
performed similar tests of Posgresql
+ "other unspecified databases" myself. It would be interesting to see memory + swap + disk
utilization
profiles of the test machine with the various databases.

To give the show away a bit, against a certian well known "propriety database" I had to enable
"nofsync" to
match its performance ( which invalidates a tpc c benchmark I think - no failsafe...) .

Not to be a negative Elephant about this, the low memory footprint of Postgresql is a great
strength, and should be marketed as such.... !

In a related vein, is it possible that any relevant database parameter settings might be
published to help folk get the best out of their Postgresql systems ? ( apologies if they are
there and I missed them )

Regards

Mark