Can I create a function that returns many records? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joel Burton
Subject Can I create a function that returns many records?
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'd like to create a function that outs the results of a select query.
It might work like this:

SELECT METAPHONE('jennifer foobar');
persid | name
-----------------------------     1 | jennifer fubar    10 | gennifer foobar

[I already have the metaphone comparing working, it's the returning
the SELECt that needs help.]

Working through the documentation, I see examples using CREATE
FUNCTION METAPHONE(text) RETURNS setof tblPerson AS 'SELECT
* FROM tblPerson' LANGUAGE 'sql',  but this returns only a single
numeric value (that doesn't seem to correspond to anything.)

Is there a way to do this? Any help would be very appreciated.

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)