RE: Trouble with RPM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert D. Nelson
Subject RE: Trouble with RPM
Date
List pgsql-general
>You know, it's responses like this that make me think... why do I pour
>so much energy in trying to get the RPM's right?  And then I remember
>all those folks that have thanked me for the good RPMs.

Thank you for the good RPMs :)

>The RPM's have been built to simply and easily allow things that are not
>easily possible with the standard tarball installation -- such as not
>having the postmaster/backend on a client-only system.  Or picking and
>choosing amongst the clients.  Or not having to have the source taking
>up space after the system is built.  Some folks actually want to run
>PostgreSQL on secure boxen that won't even have a compiler installed --
>such as my production database server.

Don't forget upgrades, as well as easily getting a php-postgres.rpm and
such. These are the things I appreciate most - and of course, uninstallation
is cool too, if that time ever comes :)

>To answer the original question, refer to the
>/usr/doc/postgresql-7.0.2/README.rpm file -- then install
>postgresql-server RPM.

My only complaint is that the packages are a little *too* seperated. I think
they only need a little better documentation on what they each are,
actually. But I got them to work anyway, thanks again!

>As to 'DLL Hell' -- thanks to the way rpm works, you are never in danger
>of this -- rpm -ql package-name gives you a complete list of files in a
>particular rpm.  The companion 'rpm -qf /some/file/some/where' gives you
>the inverse, showing what package a file belongs to.  Of course, you do
>need a recent RedHat distribution -- but you need that anyway.  (I am
>working on getting the source RPM to build on other
>distributions/OS's....)

Any chance of *wince* getting an RPM for SCO? *shudder*

>Comparing the RPM installation to Win is a low blow -- so, yes, it does
>strike a nerve.

Low blow is quite the understatement.

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us