OSX: Allow connection from remote host (actually from windows running in parallels) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bill P.
Subject OSX: Allow connection from remote host (actually from windows running in parallels)
Date
Re: OSX: Allow connection from remote host (actually from windows running in parallels)  (Jan Eden <me@janeden.net>)
List pgsql-novice
I am trying to connect to my OSX installed version of PG from Windows XP SP3 running in Parallels on my mac.

When I try to connect, i get an error about no entry in the pg_hba.conf for the ip i am trying to connect to.
I used pgAdmin3 to try to edit the file. postgresql.conf first to enable to the pg_hba.conf dir and then the pg_hba.conf file.

Neither allows me to edit and save these files due to permissions.

I also tried to edit them through the terminal, that didnt work and also added my user to the people allowed to read/write those two files.
Then through a text editor, it seemed to work (as well as doing it again through pgAdmin) and then when saved, PG would not start back up.

So what is the correct process to edit these files and allow pg to be connected to by remote host.

Thanks.
Bill

(tried posting this on the forums and got the same errors not allowing me to do so)