Re: plperl is still disabled - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Hollomon
Subject Re: plperl is still disabled
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Jack Olrik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just compiled and installed RC3 on Debian/GNU Linux(i686), and it
> looks good! - I have a couple of questions/comments though...
>
> Why is plperl still disabled?? - It apears to me that it works fine!

On some platforms. The problem has been getting enough report to
decide how large 'some' is - and how to tell the difference.

Plus, it 'stablized' rather late in the beta cycle. It was felt
that disabling would pose the least problems for the impending release.

> There is a check for 'non-shared libperl' added to Makefile.PL rev 1.8,
> this check disables building of plperl on some platforms even though
> it'll build nicely. Is there another way to perform this check ??

We're working on it. The problem is, on some platforms (eg linux)
the static libperl is built in such a way that in can be linked in as
part of a shared library. On other platforms (eg hpux), it must be
built with very specific compiler flags to allow that. An by default,
that doesn't happen unless libperl is itself a shared lib. Coming
up with a reliable link/execute test was much more work than could
be contenplated in the sort time we had before release. So, it was
felt that the simple (if not totally accurate) test was better.
--

Mark Hollomon
mhh@nortelnetworks.com