Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    David Fetter wrote:

> Second, if we put this feature as-is in psql, we're stuck supporting
> it in psql until the end of time, even if (when, I believe) we have a
> fuller and likely not perfectly compatible feature on the back-end.

To me, doing \pivot in psql vs PIVOT in the backend is a false
dichotomy, both would be desirable to have in any order.

Having PIVOT in SQL is more important because it will help in a
broader range of cases.

But, even if I fail to be convincing on this, it will still be
much easier in a psql context to just type \pivot than turning a
non-pivot query into a pivoted equivalent, even if we achieve the
best possible (in ease of use) server-side SQL implementation.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite