Re: [GENERAL] Re: [General] pgsql on win95 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Wim Ceulemans
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: [General] pgsql on win95
Date
List pgsql-general
Dustin Sallings wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, root wrote:
>
> # > I'm writing this email to you from a notebook. Running Linux. And Postgres.
> # > :-) So, it's already being done (Notebooks aren't the issue here, I believe
> # > it's an issue of OS choices).
> #
> #  There're still some Windows'95 and Windows'98 users out there in the
> # world ...
>
>         I'm not convinced that this is a reason to run a database server
> on it.  I don't think anyone would complain if someone ported postgres to
> Windows, but it seems like a silly exercise.  I've got a few macs around
> the house, but I'm in no way interested in using them as data servers.

Unless you want to store for example your contacts in an RDBMS on your
personal computer, instead of using MS-Outlook that uses an inefficient
storage format and no integrity checks.

You would in this case use the database server always just to service 1
client program.

Regards
Wim