Re: open pgsql files (was Re: [GENERAL] Mime-Version: 1.0) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: open pgsql files (was Re: [GENERAL] Mime-Version: 1.0)
Date
List pgsql-general
Serge Sozonoff wrote:

> Since then I have been observeing /proc/sys/fs/file-nr and I noticed that the
> system has already spiked to 8192 open files. I have also seen it sitting
> steady at 7356 open files.
> I was interested to know if this is "normal" behavior for Postgres, using
> "lsof" I noticed
> that most of the open files belonged to postmaster and most of them were
> not sockets.

Your numbers do not surprise me at all.  Backend pgsql servers live
for the lifetime of the client connection, and they open a similarly
large number of files on my system.  I throttle them by throttling the
life of the apache children who are generally the only clients.

Cheers,
Ed Loehr