Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Theo Kramer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Birch wrote:

> I wish this announcement had been made a few months ago!! We have several
> developers porting our server software to PostgreSQL.  Although we like
> PostgreSQL, we have run into a number of memory leaks and bugs - something
> we never encountered with Interbase.
>
> Now Interbase is going open source, we will discontinue the PostgreSQL
> development effort.  Interbase is such a well written DBMS, it doesn't make
> sense to continue.
>
> You guys have done a great job - but, frankly, IB is better.

Just been porting our app to Oracle. It took me 3 days to install, and an
extreme amount of frustration ie. jre1.1.6 is hardwired in so you have to
have it to install, oci apps core when dynamically linked, column size
(linesize) set to greater than 125 causes a core when describing an
object in sqlplus,...

Will look at IB when it comes around, but right now give me Postgres anyday!
--------
Regards
Theo