Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Brenner
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Birch <sbirch@ironmountainsystems.com> wrote:

> Now Interbase is going open source, we will discontinue the PostgreSQL
> development effort.  Interbase is such a well written DBMS, it doesn't make
> sense to continue.

You might want to wait to see what they mean by "open
source".  They might mean GPL, BSD, MPL or they could be
rolling their own vanity license that'll take months to
debug.  They also might go the bogus "open source" route,
ala Sun's "Community Source License".

Open source projects are a tricky business... if they don't
do it right, they won't attract the critical mass of
developers they need to keep the project going (yes, old
code never dies, but it does bitrot away...).