Re: With what options RPM was compiled? ( Was: Czech Win1250 sorting q) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: With what options RPM was compiled? ( Was: Czech Win1250 sorting q)
Date
List pgsql-general
Robert wrote:

> I've upgraded to 6.5.3 from RPM but 'set client_encoding' still says
> 'unknow variable'. How can I know whether RPM was compiled
> with --enable-locale and  --with-mb=LATIN2? And if it wasn't,
> could I humbly suggest it for next version?

The default 6.5.3-2 RPM's are compiled with --enable-locale, but not
with --with-mb=LATIN2.

(NOTE: The following procedure tells how to rebuild the RPM set.  Before
doing so, make sure you have a full development system -- C and C++
compilers, Tcl/Tk (and by extension X11), python-devel, perl, and the
latest rpm (rpm-3.0.2 or 3.0.3).)

To change that, get the postgresql-6.5.3-2.src.rpm from my site
(http://www.ramifordistat.net/postgres), and do the following (as root):

1.)    rpm -i postgresql-6.5.3-2.src.rpm
2.)    cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
3.)    Open postgresql-6.5.3-2.spec in your favorite editor.
4.)    Find the line with configure, but not the one inside the alpha
conditional.
5.)    Change the options as you need.
6.)    Change the line starting with Release: to be something other than
2 -- maybe '2cz' is good.  This line is near the top.
7.)    Save and close the spec file.
8.)    Rename the spec file to be like the Release -- for a Release of
'2cz', make the file 'postgresql-6.5.3-2cz.spec -- this helps prevent
confusion.
9.)    Execute 'rpm -ba postgresql-6.5.3-2cz.spec' -- this should, if
you have all the needed compilers and development libraries installed,
build the package, and create the binary rpms in the directory
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (assuming you're compiling for i386).
10.)   You can now install the binary RPMs that you have just built.

HTH

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio