Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?") - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: For the ametures. (related to "Are we losing momentum?")
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> Hmm.  Is this safe?  Let's assume for argument's sake that the RAID is 100%
> reliable and that the local spindle will eventually fail.  Can I lose data by
> leaving WAL on the local spindle?  Or are you suggesting two full RAID
> systems?

A two-disk mirror for the WAL would be good, yes; it needs redundancy
just as much as the main storage.  But the discussion was about
performance not reliability; the OP hadn't mentioned that he wanted any
redundant storage.