Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> Items in the contrib section aren't required for the use of PostgreSQL,
> however PostgreSQL *is* required to use those items.  So shouldn't the
> items in contrib have to change to a Berkeley style license?  :)
>
> I mean it's only fair!

I know of at least two items in contrib that are required to run the
regression tests -- which, arguably, make PostgreSQL require those two
components (autoinc and refint).

And, the GPL is not fair.  It is highly restrictive to programmer
freedom in ways (and promotes code freedom in others -- for many things
it makes sense).  It's not called the 'GNU Public Virus' without merit.
Lots of great software has been GPL'd -- and that's fine.  But
PostgreSQL is not -- and if PostgreSQL wants to remain BSD'd, then GPL'd
code is a real sticky mess that's best left alone.

I am not against either of these two licenses -- but the known issues of
dealing with them have to be understood, or problems may arise.

JMHO, of course.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio