Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Peter Mount <petermount@it.maidstone.gov.uk> writes:
> > Just a thought: How does this affect anything placed in the contrib
> > directory? If someone writes a tool under the GPL, can it be included
> > under the src/contrib directory, or would we fall foul just because it's
> > included with our source?
>
> Good question.  The GPL contains a clause to the effect that "mere
> aggregation" of a GPL'd piece of code in a source distribution with
> unrelated pieces of code is OK, even if those other pieces of code
> are not GPL'd.  But the contrib directory is not exactly unrelated
> to the main Postgres distribution, so I'm not sure that we can point
> to this clause to justify putting a GPL'd program in contrib.  It'd
> be a gray area...

Items in the contrib section aren't required for the use of PostgreSQL,
however PostgreSQL *is* required to use those items.  So shouldn't the
items in contrib have to change to a Berkeley style license?  :)

I mean it's only fair!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop