Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Ship documentation without intermediate tarballs Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Ship documentation without intermediate tarballs Documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Monday 10 August 2009 09:26:33 Tom Lane wrote:
>> After this patch, "make clean" in the doc/src/sgml directory no longer
>> does anything useful.  Even "make distclean" fails to remove all the
>> cruft left behind by a build.  This needs to be rethought a bit,
>> else we are going to be shipping tarballs containing junk.

> make maintainer-clean is supposed to remove "everything".  make distclean is
> supposed to remove things that are not supposed to be in the distribution.  If
> you can identifiy something that should not be in the distribution and is not
> removed by distclean, let me know.

After doing "make" then "make distclean" in doc/src/sgml, I see the
following undesirable files left behind:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 tgl tgl     58 Aug 10 11:51 version.sgml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tgl tgl  38548 Aug 10 11:51 features-unsupported.sgml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tgl tgl  42014 Aug 10 11:51 features-supported.sgml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tgl tgl 345398 Aug 10 11:52 HTML.index
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tgl tgl 298859 Aug 10 11:52 bookindex.sgml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tgl tgl      0 Aug 10 11:53 html-stamp

I would argue that both "make clean" and "make distclean" should remove
these.

Also, we seem to need .cvsignore entries for the html/ and manN/
subdirectories.  IMO the policy for .cvsignore is that anything
intentionally left behind by make distclean is to be cvsignore'd.