permissions. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Frik Brits
Subject permissions.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,
    What is to be done here, below between the lines is an excerpt from my
bash console if I want to start PostgreSQL.

frik@linux-cj2v:/etc/alternatives> postgres -D /bigdisk/data/postgres &
[1] 10438
frik@linux-cj2v:/etc/alternatives> 2016-01-12 13:09:29 SAST   FATAL:  could
not create lock file "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
denied

mySQL has the same problems. Perhaps worse.I know u do not do mySQL stuff, but
still.

I can go fix this by changing the permissions of /var/run and
/var/run/postgresql/ direc tories but then one will have to change it every
single time I want to start the databse. O by the way starting it as a service
is even worse because the then it wants to work in it own data directory.

Can this not be fixed, I mean linux is linux whichever flavour one my want to
use?.

Fortunately not all linux programs have these strange permissions hickups.

Regards
Frik Brits