Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Bitmead
Subject Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Dustin Sallings wrote:

>         Works != works as well as SCSI.  I've yet to find an example where
> IDE works as well as SCSI in real life (vs. benchmarks).  My real life
> scenarios rarely involve telling a machine to be still so we can do a disk
> read, then again for a disk write.

Modern operating systems don't ask the disk to do something and then
just wait for the answer. That's what interrupts are for. Anyway, modern
disks have caches.

>Slow, however more robust than the same in Linux.
>Linux achieves
> a lot of speed by throwing away safety nets.  Sometimes, these
> safety nets are important.

Never lost a file to Linux in 5 years.

--
Chris Bitmead