Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility
Date
Re: pg_upgrade: downgradebility  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/21/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> You know, if I could post the Mammoth Replicator code for comment,
> I'd do it as soon as possible, design flaws and coding bugs included.

It's easy to say something on the contrary when you know you can't
back it up to begin with.

Before everyone grabs their pitchforks, I would like to comment that
this was going to be a strictly commercial product and as such, had
already been through some design.  We decided to open source it for
everyone and get community involvement, so excuse us if we're going to
spend just a little more time on it.

I don't think I've seen anyone actually propose a design and state
they were going to work on it (at least until 8.3)... so it's funny
that I'm trying to follow the new, "keep the community informed"
policy and yet everyone is still not happy enough.

In short, our design is based on many of the pg_upgrade concepts but
rewritten in C... if you have any blatant faults in pg_upgrade, that's
the best place to start discussion.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301