Re: [HACKERS] More thoughts about FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] More thoughts about FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
"Peter Galbavy" <peter.galbavy@knowtion.net> writes:
> Is there any message - speaking from a standpoint of a normal user and not a
> source hacker WRT postgresql - where knowing the length of the response is
> either unknown or is expensive (in buffering) to find out ?

See my response to ljb --- I think that in practice people assemble each
message before sending anyway.  If you don't do it that way, you've got
a problem with recovering if you hit an error condition after sending a
partial message.
        regards, tom lane